Wednesday 12 December 2018

AUGUST - Nene Obiajuru 10M - Autumn Competition 2018 (Runner Up)

We validated our friendship by roping our wrists with daisy chains and
stapling to our foreheads the imaginary contracts we signed
in the blood that'd coursed through our veins
we uttered   promises   which fluttered in the air and
adorned us like forest fires in winter

Out of the corners of our eyes seeped glass, our
lashes weighted by painful memories of a future that could never be
fulfilled and of a past that was.
I found comfort in their presence and blissfully
revelled in my own hypocrisy as I pushed away
the notions in my head that illustrated the weakness of tears

I plunged into the depths of my mind : words
words that I couldn't translate
regardless of my efforts 
And so
conversations remained unregistered in our minds
holding no value 

We stood at a crossroads with one another
It all unravelled as my absence loosened the seams that bound us 
all
but I do not bear the burden of the blame

I created an out
loopholes I sewed into the fibres of our contracts
I plucked the staples which healed as scars on my forehead
The only similarity in our blood was its colour
It proved thinner than water.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Please only leave respectful and informative comments. Thank you!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig