Friday 17 July 2020

Why I ignored government advice to stay home to go to a BLM protest by Iola King-Alleyne

Black Lives Matter Changes Tactics From Protests to Policy ...
Despite the current Covid-19 outbreak, I attended a black lives matter protest in Central London on the 6th June. I, along with thousands of others, ignored the government advice to stay at home and socially distance during this pandemic, to make noise about the systemic racism and injustices still facing the black community today, which are seemingly ignored by those running our country.

Of course, I attended the protest to fight for justice for George Floyd, who was killed on 25th May by a US police officer, and so many other black lives taken by those who are supposed to be protecting us, and other civilians. But also, I felt an overwhelming moral duty to go, as I am half Caribbean, racism has directly affected my family. My great uncle was very involved in fighting for black rights in the UK throughout the late 1900’s and although I never met him, I know how incredibly proud he would be of our generation continuing his- and so many others’- work to help end the systemic oppression of black people, which started and should have ended with the slave trade. I also wanted to go to be able to tell my future children that although I, individually, had little power to do anything, I attended a protest and signed petitions that had so much power to make change. In fact, the Black Lives Matter protests so far have enabled the murderer of George Floyd, police officer Derek Chauvin’s charge to be upped from third to second degree murder.

I remember feeling so out of place getting on the tube, as I was clearly the only person at my station going to the protest, made obvious by my huge cardboard sign. I’m ashamed to say that the couple of funny looks I got definitely regarding me ignoring government advice did make me question if I should be going at all. But eventually more protestors got on the tube, reassuring me that I made my decision to go for a reason, and I should have full trust in that. We all piled off at Westminster Station in masses, heading towards Parliament Square.

My friends and I stood on the edge of the square, holding up signs that said ‘teach black history in schools!’, as we believe that that is the key to promoting more equality. The day consisted of chanting, reoccurring chants being ‘no justice no peace’ and ‘say his name, George Floyd’, and then a march over Vauxhall bridge, to a spot outside the US embassy. It was then that a mass kneel and a minute silence took place, out of respect for George Floyd and all the other unjust killings of black people, motivated by racism. There were some cars beeping along to the chants, and others holding passengers that seemed rather annoyed at the floods of people in the road causing standstill traffic, but the action that felt the most genuine and heartfelt was the lowered heads and raised fists of some car and bus drivers. Their clear wholehearted solidarity for the movement through such a simple yet powerful action was the most encouragement that I, and I’m sure many others, have ever felt.

If you wanted to go to the protests but were unable to attend, then do not feel bad or in any way ashamed. Although a large turnout to the protests was necessary to draw attention to the movement and the calls for change that it asks for, there are so many other ways to show support. Signing petitions and educating yourself on systemic racism and police brutality make so much more of a change than you may realise. Even reading this edition of Purple Ink is showing support for the cause.

No justice, no peace.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Please only leave respectful and informative comments. Thank you!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig