Saturday 7 September 2019

Discovery of self (Short Story) by Gabriel Dedji



From the beginning, I lay on her neck, almost lifeless, only coming to light on the most glamorous occasions. I was an exquisite character of paramount beauty.

That's what he said.

It began on a Sunday morning when I woke up to the feel of naked lips caressing my exterior. This was a welcome feeling and I adored being the centre of his admiration despite his intention not being so. I trembled upon her chest as both of them were utterly consumed with their compassion for one another. He paused unexpectedly as he smiled and stroked her cheek. His perfect white teeth catalysed an eruption of awe and wonder in her. I could feel them surging out of her through rapid heartbeats.

"Get dressed."

He said.

"I've got something special for you."

She did as she was told and I glimmered as soon as we had left the confines of the bed. I was her companion in the shower and the audience to her mediocre singing. This was the way people acted when they were in 'love', I assumed.

And I was the cause of it all.

It had been a mere four months ago that I had met him at an art exhibition. It was the opening of the African art museum. He had come alone in a perfect tuxedo worn only by stars with an immaculate white shirt and a bow-tie made with cloth from the Benin Republic. His hair was slicked back for a suave look which he was able to pull off with gleeming white teeth. She too looked stunning. Her dress was a piece of art in itself paired with the most exotic and flamboyant of heels. Her make-up, which was expertly done, brought out the most beautiful aspects of her face. But it was me that he had fallen in love with. I sat on her neck, boasting of my emerald pearl and golden hues, I was the topic of her conversation.

I had led to our demise.

In present time we enter the helicopter which has been called for us. We knew he was rich from the start so we are not too surprised. At entry we are greeted by two beautiful young women who offer her some 'vin rouge' (red wine between me and you) from 1961. I can feel the alcohol sliding down her throat. She is enjoying it. He comes in behind us and takes a seat in the helicopter opposite from us. The two beautiful young women check that we're strapped in before closing the door behind us.

"What is all of this?"

She asks.

He smirks and simply replies:

"Discovery of self."

The helicopter lifts itself and soars over the endless blue skies and into the heavens. They explore each other's eyes and I sit here acting as a witness to it all. He smiles as he always does and she is overwhelmed by the perfectness of his aesthetic but this time he sticks his hands down his trousers and pulls out a gun.

He shoots himself in the head.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Please only leave respectful and informative comments. Thank you!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig