Monday 2 March 2020

She Smiles by Niamh McAlister


This is a poem I have written called ‘she smiles’. It deals with some sensitive topics about mental health. I wrote this poem after my friend told me about her experiences with her anxiety and mental health. After she told me about her experience I wrote a poem and she really liked it. She suggested that I submit it to purple ink so that others experiencing mental health issues know that they are never alone. Also just know that my friend is getting the support she needs now, and please don’t ask me who she is as she doesn't want her identity known.

She smiles

She smiles
But she doesn't smile because she’s happy
she smiles because she feels broken
she smiles because of her anxiety
she smiles because she's labelled as the 'happy friend'
she smiles because nobody understands her pain
she smiles because of her panic attacks
she smiles because the voice in her head tells her that she's ugly
she smiles because she's struggling in her own thoughts
she doesn't smile despite her problems
she smiles because of them
And she will keep on smiling
Because she have no other choice
But when you see her smiling
She is not smiling because she's happy
she's smiling because she's broken

If you deal with any of the issues in this poem please tell someone, it could be your parents, your favourite teacher or your friends, just don’t go through this alone. You could also use a website called Kooth where you can get online free counselling from real trained counsellors.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Please only leave respectful and informative comments. Thank you!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig